Other than the fact that service is the cure to life’s stresses and sadness, our good friends Ghandi reminds us that “the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others”. We’ve come up with a few reasons of our own as well:
1. It’s just fun!
2. You make wonderful friends
5. There are 70 programs to choose from!
6. You have a support system of volunteers who’ve got your back
7. It’s an excuse to go swimming during the day
8. You can serve alongside your family
9. You can learn new skills (Like building a house!)
10. Be a role model for someone else
Possible Side Effects of Doing Service:
2. You run the risk of getting pied in the face
3. You just may have loads of fun
4. Form friendships and relationships
Weighing the costs and benefits, I think we could all use a good dose of service in our lives. Whatever your reason is, reach out to serve others and see the inevitable effects not only in your life, but in those you serve.
“To find real happiness, we must seek for it in a focus outside ourselves. No one has learned the meaning of living until he has surrendered his ego to the service of his fellow man. Service to others is the fulfillment of which brings true joy.” -Thomas S. Monson